- 1 each Pie Crust, 9 inch
- 8 ounces Baby Portabello Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups Kale, stems removed, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 4 fresh Eggs
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup Fontina Cheese ( Swiss optional ), grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place pie pastry into a glass or ceramic pie plate. Press the bottom and sides into the plate and finish the edges of the crust by pressing the tines of a fork against the rim of the crust, or by pursuing the edges together between your thumb and forefinger. Refrigerate the crust until the oven has heated completely. Place pie plate into the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes until set and just starting to brown. Remove crust from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions to skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook 5-7 minutes until vegetables are tender and mushrooms have given off their liquid, stirring occasionally. Transfer the onion mixture to a small bowl.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and add chopped kale. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add water and cook until kale is wilted and water has evaporated, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add kale to the onion mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, remaining salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add kale mixture, parmesan, and fontina to eggs. Stir to combine.
- Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 45 minutes, until filling is set. Remove from oven. Let quiche cool for half an hour before serving.