Cove Cuisine Soups & Stews
||Winter Squash Soup
Winter Squash Soup. Easy to make, delicious to eat!
Prep Time: 15 min ~ Cook Time: 50 min ~ Servings: 6-8
- 3 1/2 pound Butternut Squash or Seminole Pumpkin, seeded and quartered
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted for brushing
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Root, minced
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg, grated
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the quartered squash onto a half-sheet pan, brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter, and season with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of white pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender. Scoop the flesh from the skin into a 6-quart pot. Add the broth, honey, and ginger. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer, for approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Using a stick blender, puree the mixture until smooth*. Stir in the heavy cream and return to a low simmer. Season with the remaining salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Appetizers ~ Beverages ~ Breads & Bakery ~ Dips, Spreads & Sauces ~ Healing Tonics ~ Salads & Sides ~ Soups & Stews ~ Main Dishes ~ Desserts