Cove Cuisine Soups & Stews
||Minorcan Clam Chowder
Minorcan Clam Chowder. The Datil Pepper is the start of this chowder. A tasty pepper with plenty of kick complemented with plenty of clams!
Prep Time: 15 min ~ Cook Time: 1 hr 30 min ~ Servings: 4-6
- 13 ounces Minced Clams, 2 doz fresh or canned 6.5oz
- 3 fresh Datil Peppers, minced
- 1 medium Onion, small diced
- 1 fresh Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1 cup Red Potatoes, small diced, peeled
- 15 oz cans of Chopped Tomatoes, canned
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Rosemary, fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 wholes Bay Leaves, crushed
- 18 ounces of Clam Juice, bottled
- 6 ounces Heavy Cream
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté diced onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions look translucent (clear). Note: If there is not enough fat rendering to cook the vegetables.
- Stir in one 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, all the seasonings (use fresh or dried) – garlic, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and a ratio of pepper salt. Add the three minced datil peppers.
- Next add the 8-ounce bottle of clam juice and juice from canned clams. Let it simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
- NOTE: If you are using canned clams, drain the clams, retaining the juice (you will get one cup of clam juice from two cans of 6.5-ounce canned clams). Set clams aside, and pour juice into the soup.
- Add one cup of the diced potatoes to the soup and cook for approximately 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Add the chopped clams. Cook just long enough until the clams are heated through (5 minutes).
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. This is a soup that tastes even better the next day because the flavors have had more time to meld together.
Appetizers ~ Beverages ~ Breads & Bakery ~ Dips, Spreads & Sauces ~ Healing Tonics ~ Salads & Sides ~ Soups & Stews ~ Main Dishes ~ Desserts