- 6 cups Cold Water, for the stock
- 1 bunch of Shrimp and Crawfish Heads, for the stock
- 1 tablespoon Oregano Garlic Olive Oil, for the stock
- 1 small Yello Onion, chopped, for the stock
- 1 cup Celery Stalks, for the stock
- 1 fresh Carrot, chopped, for the stock
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced, for the stock
- 1 teaspoon Black Peppercorns, in a spice bag, for the stock
- 1 leaf Bay Leaf, crushed in a spice bag, for the stock
- 2 sticks of Thyme, in a spice bag, for the stock
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, dried, in a spice bag, for the stock
- 1 1/4 cup Flour, for the roux
- 1 cup Oregano Garlic olive oil, for the roux
- 1 pkg Louisiana Cajun Gumbo Base 5 oz ( optional )
- 3 larges Boneless chicken thighs
- 2 wholes Andouille Sausage, sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 pound Shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 pounds Crawfish, shelled
- 2 cups Okra, sliced
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, minced
- 1 bunch of Green Onions with tops
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 stick Celery, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 wholes Bay Leaves, crushed
- 1 bunch of Parsley, chopped
- 28 oz cans San Marzano Tomatoes, canned
- 1 to taste Kosher Salt
- 4 dashes of Crystal Sauce
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon File Powder
- 3 cups Long Grain Rice
- For the Stock: Get shrimp with the heads on. Remove heads and shells. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp shells and heads, thyme sprigs, garlic, and bay leaf. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 7 cups water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and strain through a sieve.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and chop it into 3-4 inch pieces. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in oregano oil in a skillet. When browned remove from skillet and set aside. Brown the andouille sausage and remove.
- Add some more oil to the skillet and add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and saute for 3 minutes.
- Over medium-high heat, blend oil and flour for the Roux, stir constantly, and look for a pale chocolate color. Do not burn! Or mix the Louisiana Cajun Gumbo Base with 2 quarts of water.
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with Creole seasoning and brown in the oven. Slice the sausage and brown, pouring off all the fat.
- Sauté the onions, green onions, bell pepper, and celery if you haven’t already added them to the roux, and add to the stock.
- Add the chicken and sausage(s). Add the bay leaves and Creole seasoning (or ground peppers) to taste and stir. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer; let simmer for about 45 minutes. Keep tasting and adjusting seasonings as needed. Put a Sauce Boss CD on for full enjoyment of the mixing of the Gumbo
- Add the okra, and parsley and cook another 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and crawfish and cook 6 – 8 minutes longer until pink. Sprinkle with the file if you are using it and serve